Tuesday, October 13, 2009


If you've spent your entire life growing up under the wing of a Vogue editor-in-chief, you're bound to turn out fabulous. And Julia Restoin-Roitfeld, daughter of French Vogue editrix Carine Roitfeld, is no exception. The French art director/socialite splits her time between Paris and New York, and her style truly exemplifies such. She mixes classic Parisian chic with a more urban New York aesthetic, which has made her a style icon for every American girl who wishes she had that innate French fashion sense. Of course it doesn't hurt that she has unlimited access to mommy's extensive designer-filled closet, either.

The other day, I came across this quote from Julia from an interview with the UK Times Online back in 2006. I found it extremely interesting, coming from her Parisian perspective. She says:

"Living in New York. I can dress pretty much how I want to and people are less judgmental than they are in France. In Paris, women have this very classic touch that perhaps some New Yorkers envy, but it is very, very conservative. People have such fun with their clothes here and they are open to new ideas."

Shall we say, the grass is always greener on the other side? I guess after all this time I've spent envying the innate stylish sensibility of the French, I should take a step back and appreciate the freedom that New Yorkers have in the way they express themselves through their sartorial choices. But I still wouldn't mind having the best of both worlds like Julia.

No comments:

Post a Comment